Pretending to be a successful person. Interview with the Chebose Group
To illustrate the interview with Vasya Goncharov, the leader of the rock band “Cheboza”, we photographed all the current members of his band separately and combined all this into one picture from pure hooliganism in “Photoshop”. It turned out to be like the cover of one of the records of the legendary Beatles band. Vasya looked at this creative and waved his hand: leave it. This is how the continuation of the MEGA BIT photo project goes, within the framework of which in the last release the singer Tanya Zykina almost adopted a pig. Tanya pretended to be Tori Amos. Why not? Today it’s so fashionable to pretend; the main thing is that at least some concept is present.
Goncharov Vasily, 24 years old, a really young musician who does something tangible in the modern musical space. Not for his personal fame, but for music in general, which is a rarity in today’s realities. The performance of “Cheboza” in the summer at “MEGA BIT FEST” was bright, “tasty” and necessary in order to show that our music can be really high-quality. We met with him to talk about music, about time, because Vasya is one of those people who will subsequently personify musical two thousandths. It was not in vain that Mikhail Boyarsky chose him to work together on the first album after 20 years of the lull of the 80s megastar.
– In a conversation with me, DJ Smash claimed that electronics are now more popular than all rock and roll and pop music. What do you think of this as a representative of another front?
– This is complete nonsense. In this case, I feel like a doctor in Kashchenko, who is talking with a patient. DJs are generally the most doubtful artists as musicians. It is more doubtful than restaurant labels in Sochi. What does it take to be a DJ? Buy yourself a DJ remote, put a couple of discs, you can download free.
You mixed up the Green-eyed Taxi, agreed with the club, stood there for $ 500. And after that you can proudly write that you are a musician, you have concerts, fees and all that. I do not consider this music. If we understand electronics as something hollowing, monotonous, based on other people’s samples, with a minimal message – in this form it will never win. Songs will rule the world and will remain in history. And the success that turned out, he was implicated in the fact that “Moscow never sleeps” – it was some kind of song, not a club melon and melon.
– But this is more in demand than the stylish aesthetic music of “Cheboza”.
– Well, I can’t make a man fall in love with his music. You can install the artist on the radio, write about him in the newspaper, play several concerts and so on. But you cannot force an artist to love. My task as an artist is to do what I do best with the highest quality possible. I do not pursue the goal of defeating DJ Smash and chanson, which sounds in all taxis and by the way is more popular than any electronics.
– “Chebose” was called the “group of one song” because of the song “Cornflowers” - a parody of Eminem’s “Stan”.
– This is an option that the song, no matter how much I like it now, survived without even being released on the disc. This genre – banter – is the easiest way to convey to the mass listener. This, I think, is the secret to the success of this strange whipped up song.
– But you continue to work, release discs. Recently there was a cool project “Model for assembly”, where Butusov sang songs of young musicians. You acted there as an ideological creator. Why do you need it?
– The era of revolutionary cultural mass discoveries has passed or somehow hid. In the dashing years of the late 90s, a large number of rock and roll bands surfaced. And in recent years, not even a lot of artists have appeared on the pop scene. Such a managerial era has now come. It’s easier not to do something than to do. It’s much easier to put on a radio a new song by an old artist than a new song by a new artist, because it’s more true – the rating will not fall. And I thought that if a venerable character performs good songs of young bands, perhaps people will pay attention to the source. The experience was quite funny, including with the radio. The first we recorded the song “Fairy” of the “Signs” group, it was originally similar to the original Butusov.
Butusov boldly goes to experiments, he agreed to participate in this project. And they put this song on the radio performed by Butusov, but there are no “Signs”. So my managerial theory was confirmed. We made an entire album, I was looking for songs, attracted all the best people I could find to work, and recorded with Slava for 8 months. Recently listened to him – a cool album. I still think that it sounds fresh and cool. Some of the musicians whose songs we used looked at us strangely, afraid that Butusov would take the song from them forever. Or they asked: “Maybe he has a creative crisis? Does he have nothing to sing?” By the way, I recently read that “Time Machine” is going to re-sing songs of young groups, like, no one did. No, that’s what we did on the Model for Assembly project.